Wednesday 6 November 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana

Ok, I'll admit it, I'd heard from a few people that New Orleans wasn't safe and I even debated skipping it altogether, but eventually deciding to come here was probably the best decision of my life.

Over the last month I've been fortunate to visit some pretty amazing places, I previously ranked San Francisco or possibly San Diego as my favourites, but I think New Orleans may just pip them both.

This place and its citizens ooze character. Hurricane Katrina ransacked the city and caused all kinds of destruction and misery and I think surviving this has given New Orleanians an appreciation of the good things in life.

The people of New Orleans live to have a good time and the city is world famous for it's food and music. Walking through the bustling French quarter, you'll pass bundles of street performers and walk into just about any bar and you'll find a band doing their thing and getting revelers onto the dance floor.

The architecture itself of New Orleans is fascinating. Houses come in a range of bright colours, matching the upbeat mood of the city. The scars of Katrina can still be seen, but that doesn't affect the happy-go-lucky outlook of the residents.

I've found New Orleanians to be the most eccentric, friendly and open bunch, ranging from bus drivers right through to shop workers, and there is certainly a unique vibe to this city that you can almost feel in the air.

Personally, I've packed a lot into the few days that I have spent here. I've experienced the giant party that is Bourbon Street, I've visited the deeply moving exhibit on Hurricane Katrina at the Louisiana State Museum and I've also taken a swamp tour outside the city and held a baby alligator.

New Orleans it's fair to say has blown me away, but a large part of this is also down to the people that I have met here. I've met some amazing people at the Bourbon hostel but tomorrow, I will be once again be packing up, moving on and starting again, so I wish the great crowd that I've met here a great onward trip.

Now that the West Coast and some of the South has been ticked off my list, it's time to put away my shorts and prepare for my first experience of winter as I head to the East coast for the final leg of my trip.

During this time I'm hoping to get to Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and New York before I head home and back to normality.



1 comment: