Thursday 21 November 2013

Returning to reality

So after around two months of living on the road, it's time to begin the long journey and to head back home to Cornwall.

As I sit typing this waiting for my shuttle to JFK airport, it seems a long time ago that I first arrived in San Francisco after over a day of travelling to get there.

In the time since then I have stayed in 14 towns and cities, in some good hostels, some bad ones, a few motels, hotels and in some spare rooms and on a couple of sofas.

I've gone from the beautiful California coast, through the proud state of Texas, onto buzzing Louisiana and then said cheerio to the warm temperatures, heading up to Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, New York.

I have seen so many incredible landmarks made famous by various films and television programmes and visited cities that are famous worldwide and I've genuinely been overwhelmed by many of these places.

A lot of these sights will stay with me forever and it's kind of hard for me to pick a favourite because enjoyment in each place ties into the personal experience I had there, in other words the people I have met.

I've been really fortunate that in each place I've managed to meet a few people that I was able to share days and nights out with. Several of the people I struck up particularly good friendships with and I'm sure that I'll run into many of you in the future at some point. So this is a big thank you to all of you guys for making this trip extra special, teaching me new drinking games and being a part of so many special memories, both drunken and sober.

I've genuinely had the time of my life on this trip and I'm fortunate that so many highs have only been accompanied by sporadic lows, those lows normally associated with being forced to leave great people behind, moving on and arriving in a new place alone. Luckily in the majority of cases I've made new friends almost as quickly as I left others behind.

So the time has come to go home, see my friends and family again and try to sort out some sort of career for myself. I've learnt so much during this trip, including a lot about myself as a person and I feel that I'm now a more confident and better all round person as a result of these travels. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity for a similar voyage in the future, possibly in South America after hearing so many good words about it from other travelers. At least the real brand of football will be far more common there!

So in reflection I'm sad to be leaving behind the constant sense of adventure and the beautiful variable lands of the USA, but I am looking forward to seeing friends and family and no longer living out of a backpack and sharing a room with numerous other people.

Now I can't make any promises that this blog won't become idle once I arrive home, but I will try my best to post my thoughts as and when they pop into my head and keep you all updated when I walk back into what is pretty much a cross roads in my life.

Thank you all for reading!

2013- Download Festival- Madrid (Spain)- San Francisco, Monterey, Moro Bay, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego (California), Austin, Houston (Texas), New Orleans (Louisiana), Boston (Massachusetts), Washington DC, Virginia, Philadelphia (Pennsylvania), New York.




No comments:

Post a Comment