Saturday 16 November 2013

Philadelphia, Pensylvania

I’m going to be perfectly honest and say that Philadelphia wasn’t high on my list of desired destinations when I was planning my trip around the USA.

The city of brotherly love as it’s known, snuck into my itinerary under the radar as a means of breaking up the journey between Washington and my final destination of New York city and despite only spending two nights here, I’ve developed an affinity for the place.

Philadelphia is a relatively big city with a population of over a million, but it really doesn’t feel this way as all the sites are within walking distance of each other.

Having spent near enough the entirety of my trip in hostels and with the only hostel in the city being booked up, I decided to try Couchsurfing and it’s been a pretty cool experience.

For those who don’t know what Couchsurfing is, it’s where travellers ‘host’ other travellers and let them sleep on sofas, spare beds or other available space.

My first Couchsurfing experience was my final night in Washington where I stayed with Danielle and we had a lovely evening. Upon arrival in Philly I headed to Rob’s apartment and he immediately made me welcome by taking me along to a gathering with several of his friends. Rob rents a cosy apartment right downtown and even a brutal allergic reaction to his cat didn’t prevent us from striking up a friendship.

Right now I write from Suzanna’s spacious apartment she shares with her highly amusing son. Here I have a basement room to myself which is pretty much a luxury compared to the packed dorms I’ve stayed in over the last month and a half.

Tomorrow I head to New York to meet Mum and Dad on what is the final leg of an incredible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment